New Name, Same Mission
Effective September 3, 2013, The Movement Disorder Society will change its name to the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society. MDS members voted to change the name at the annual business meeting in Sydney, Australia on June 18th, 2013.
This new name recognizes the growing importance of Parkinson’s disease care and research within the field of Movement Disorders and the activities of the Society.
Though the name has changed, the MDS mission and goals will remain the same, and the Society will continue to work together to disseminate knowledge and promote research in order to favorably affect the care of patients with Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders.
International Congress News
Abstract Submission for the 18th International Congress in Stockholm, Sweden Opens October 1, 2013!
The International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society invites all MDS Members and non-members to submit an abstract for review for the 18th International Congress.
- All abstract submissions must be original research.
- Abstracts that have been presented at other meetings may be submitted if they have not been published and if the meeting name and date are cited accordingly.
- All abstracts accepted for presentation will be published in an electronic supplement to the Movement Disorders journal, online edition.
- If your abstract is accepted, you must be prepared to travel to the International Congress to present your abstract on the assigned date. Please do not submit an abstract if you are not prepared to travel to the International Congress to present your research.
- There is no fee to submit an abstract; however all abstract presenters must register for the International Congress and pay applicable fees. Congress registration will open in December 2013.
Please visit the 2014 International Congress website for further information.
Regional Section News
MDS-ES Movement Disorders Fellowship Program
The MDS-ES is now accepting applications for placement in 2014. The Fellowship Program will grant 3 awards for €1,500 Euro each, plus travel expenses up to €300 Euro, to study at a European Movement Disorders center. Note: Travel will usually be paid after receipt of the final fellowship report, but a payment schedule may be agreed on an individual basis. The purpose of this award is to support accommodation and living expenses for six weeks.
Applications must be received by October 25, 2013. The evaluation process will be completed in November, and applicants may expect an official reply by December 6, 2013.
A list of European institutions with fellowships is available here.
For more information on eligibility or to apply, click here.
Share the MDS E-Newsletter with a colleague.
Uncommon Causes of Movement Disorders
October 11-12, 2013
Design, Conduct and Interpretation of Clinical Trials in Movement Disorders
October 29-31, 2013
Deep Brain Stimulation for Movement Disorders
November 28-29, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Evidence-Based Medicine Update on Treatments for Parkinson's Disease
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Save the Date!
4th Asian and Oceanian Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Congress
November 28-30, 2014
Supported or Endorsed by MDS
International Symposium on Neural Transplantation and Regeneration
September 3-6, 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2nd International Symposium on New Therapeutic Avenues in Parkinson’s Disease
September 4-6, 2013
2013 World Congress on Huntington's Disease
September 15-18, 2013
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
World Parkinson Congress
October 1-4, 2013
View a special message from WPC 2013 Co-Chairs Dr. Stanley Fahn & Dr. Jon Stoessl
New Therapies for Advanced Parkinson's Disease Now Available on DVD! Contains lectures recorded at the MDS workshop New Therapies for Advanced Parkinson's Disease on October 29, 2010 (Durham, North Carolina). Order your copy today!
International Congress DVDs
Teaching Course and Themed Course DVDs from the 16th and now 17th International Congress are available for purchase at the MDS E-Store. Includes slides, audio, video and syllabi.
2013 VO Games DVD
Order the 17th International Congress VO Games DVD. Each DVD includes slides, audio and video, and features unique cases by representatives from Movement Disorder Centers around the world.
Recent Online Journal CME
- Vol. 28.6 "Nonpharmacological Enhancement of Cognitive Function in Parkinson's Disease: A Systematic Review" John V. Hindle, MBBS, FRCP, FRCPsych, Annette Petrelli, MSc, Linda Clare, MA, MSc, PhD, and Elke Kalbe, PhD
You have received this message because you have had previous contact with the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society. If you do not wish to be included in our mailing list, please forward this message to email@example.com with "Unsubscribe" in the Subject Line.