All subdivisions of the Society serve the clinical and scientific mission of the Society. The Society has subdivisions which serve administrative or scientific needs. In addition, we have subdivisions which serve the needs of specific member groups: Regional Sections and Special Interest Groups.
The Study Groups are developing international collaborative research in the field of Movement Disorders whenever this is meaningful. The duration of the Study Group is unlimited in time but there will be an annual report on the progress and next steps of the Study Group.
If there are collaborations in an area where clinical studies for etiology, diagnosis and/or treatment or collaborative basic science research is needed, members of the Society can apply for the status of an MDS Study Group for specific research questions.
Study Groups and their chairpersons are appointed by the Officers and the president. Members of Study Groups are appointed by the chairpersons and the president. New members are continuously included or retired when necessary.
Benefits for Study Groups
- Official recognition by The Movement Disorder Society
- Receiving a letter of support and recommendation by the MDS President
- Financial support for telephone conferences
- Meeting space during the annual MDS Congress
Duties and responsibilities of Study Groups
- Defining the needs in a specific area of research
- Developing a scientific task on a long-term basis
- Reporting annually on the progress and next steps
Scientific results should be submitted to the Movement Disorders Journal
Note: To the extent possible, Study Group Chairs will assign copyright in rating scales to MDS, which may license rights for use by others.
Study groups can be approved if:
- The topic of the study is of major interest for the field of Movement Disorders
- The membership is open to world-wide participation and should include the major researchers in the field
- The members of the Study Group are MDS members (exclusions from this rule are possible on special request)
- Submission of the project, its objectives and aims (timelines and deliverables)
- List of participants