Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Society of Thailand
Thai Parkinson Disease-Movement Disorders Society
History: Thai Parkinson Disease - Movement Disorders Society (Thai PDMDS) was founded by a group of doctors who are interested in Parkinson disease in Thailand since 1997. At first, the founders named this Society as “Parkinson Disease and Movement Disorders Society but afterwards it has been changed to “Thai Parkinson Disease-Movement Disorders Society” under the Neurological Society of Thailand.
- To disseminate and publicize knowledge on Parkinson disease to the public both in Bangkok and upcountry.
- To promote and support the symposium on Parkinson disease and movement disorders and to provide knowledge to the doctors and the medical personnel.
- To cooperate and coordinate with major societies and organizations on Parkinson disease and movement disorders including other related organizations, within and outside the country to exchange knowledge.
Previous Works of the Thai PDMDS:
- Thai PDMDS deemed that currently the number of senior citizen in Thailand tend to be increasing, so there are more chances to encounter Parkinson disease. As a result, Thai PDMDS and the Parkinson patients have jointly worked to develop Thai Parkinson’s Disease Patient Society to educate and disseminate information throughout the country by arranging at least 2 activities a year. Normally, they are focusing on provision on knowledge of the disease and how the patients and their family members should do to cope with it, including answer any questions asked.
- Promotion and support the symposium on Parkinson disease and movement disorders and provision of knowledge to the doctors and the medical personnel. Thai PDMDS arranges about 1-2 symposiums by the specialized lecturer per year. And there is a video competition to select the works to compete in the International Symposium of Asian and Pacific Parkinson’s Disease Association every year.
- Cooperation and coordination with other organizations to exchange knowledge.Thai PDMDS has roles in the international organizations continually by nominating the committee’s representative to be the Executive Committee of MDS Asian and Oceanian Section and also constantly participates in Asian and Oceanian Section of the Movement Disorders Society.
The mentioned works of Thai PDMDS cannot be achieved without the doctors and the representatives who dedicated their best physical and spiritual efforts including funds for the benefits of the Thai patients who are suffered from this disease.
President: Roongroj Bhidayasiri, MD, FRCP, FRCPI.
Advisors: Jithanorm Suwannathemee, MD, FRCP(T).
Somsak Lapikultham, MD.
Pairoj Boonkongchuen, MD.
Vice-Presdient: Apichart Pisarnpong, MD.
Scientific section:Parnsiri Chairangsaris, MD.
Public relations: Akravudh Viriyavejakul, MD.
Secretary: Prachaya Srivanitchapoom, MD.
Committee members: Kongkiat Kulkantrakorn, MD.
Suwanna Setthawatcharawanich, MD.
Somsak Tiamkao, MD.
Sunsanee Pongphakdee, MD.
Suthida Boonyawairoj, MD.
Akrom Arayavichanont, MD.
Priya Jagota, MD.
Damrongvit Sukajitanakarn, MD.
Surat Tanprawate, MD.
Natlada Limotai, MD.
Praween Lolekha, MD.
Thai PDMDS publicizes information on Parkinson diseases and movement disorders as well as its activities via its website: www.parkinsonthailand.com.
Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Society of Thailand (Thai PDMDS) was established in 1991 by a group of physicians with special interest in movement disorders. For more than 20 years, movement disorders has become one of the attracted specialties in neurology and our society has over 100 members comprising of movement disorders neurologists, general neurologists and related specialties throughout the country.
Thai PDMDS is a leading national presence in Parkinson's disease research, education and public advocacy in Thailand. We are working for more than 60,000 people in Thailand who live with Parkinson's disease by supporting them through various educational programs and services both in Bangkok and outreach regions (see photos). Annual meetings are regularly held to celebrate the Parkinson's day in April of each year. For physicians, annual scientific meeting has become popular attracting hundreds of participants from all over the country. In addition, we collaborate with regional partners to develop courses, seminars, conferences, or workshops in Parkinson's disease and related disorders.
For over 20 years, Thai PDMDS expands to encompass different activities focusing on promoting the awareness of Parkinson's disease and related disorders to both patients and physicians in Thailand. These services include:
- Developing educational and information resources in Parkinson's disease and related disorders
- Providing current detailed information about Parkinson's disease on our website, including resource links and webcasts on issues of interest
- Providing support for regional partners to better meet the needs of people with Parkinson's disease through outreach programs.
As a member of Asia-Oceania section of the Movement Disorders Society (AOS-MDS), we are delighted for the exciting opportunity to host the upcoming Asia and Oceania Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Congress (AOPMC), together with the international symposium of Asian and Pacific Parkinson Association (APPA) in Bangkok in 2014. We hope to enrich our participants not only the scientific programs and the social events at the meetings in Bangkok, but also offer our delegates the chance to see the sights and sounds of what makes Bangkok such a culturally unique destination. (Thai PDMDS, www.parkinsonthailand.com)
Contributed by Roongroj Bhidayasiri, MD, FRCP on behalf of the Thai PDMDS.