Parkinson’s Disease and Atypical Parkinsonism: Neuroimaging & Emerging Concepts
- Parkinson’s Disease and Atypical Parkinsonism: Neuroimaging & Emerging Concepts
Ferzana Amod, MBBCh, FCNeurology
An update on the diagnosis of PD, pre-motor PD and atypical parkinsonian syndromes will be presented by experts in the field.
Over the past two decades, magnetic resonance imaging and radiotracer-based imaging techniques have proven to be helpful tools to enhance the diagnostic accuracy of these disorders. Here, we review recent advances in MRI, PET and SPECT in parkinsonian syndromes.
Clinically interactive sessions with video and patient based case scenarios will be presented to contextualize the role of imaging in parkinsonian disorders.
Deep brain stimulation may be considered in atypical parkinsonism and these will be discussed as an emerging treatment tool in selected cases.
The target audience for this course are Neurologists, Neurology Registrars and neuro-radiologists.
General neurologists, neuro-radiologist, nuclear medicine physicians & neurologists with interest in movement disorders.
- Inspect updated diagnosis criteria for Parkinson’s Disease and Atypical Parkinsonian syndromes,
- Evaluate the role of MRI in differential diagnosis,
- Interpret the role of recent molecular imaging insights in the treatment of Parkinsonism, and
- Describe the appropriate use of dopamine imaging (FDG, PET & newer ligands) in diagnosing Parkinson’s
NH Cape Town, The Lord Charles Hotel
Corner Main Road (M9) and
Broadway Blvd (R44)
Somerset West, 7130, Cape Town, South Africa
MDS is able to provide participants with a Letter of Support and any course-related documentation needed to assist in obtaining a visa. Please note that MDS is unable to contact the Embassy on your behalf. It is the responsibility of each participant to make the necessary arrangements related to this process. However, if the official handling your application needs further clarification, please have them contact firstname.lastname@example.org