3rd Allied Health Rehabilitation Course for Parkinson’s Disease
Hanan Khalil, PhD
Local Director: Amal Al-Shamlan
This one-day course is intended to increase knowledge about rehabilitation in Parkinson's disease and build clinical capacity of rehabilitative professionals in the Middle East. The course is intended for physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and speech therapists. A faculty of movement disorders rehabilitation specialists will teach the course.
The morning of this course will focus on topic presentations and discussion centered on Parkinson’s disease medial management updates. The afternoon will focus on how to use and optimize Parkinson care by implementing various rehabilitation techniques. The European Physiotherapy guideline for decision support, assessment and management of Parkinson’s disease will be used as a guide in some of the sessions. The afternoon will include a number of practical workshops where participants will be able to apply some of the learned skills. Real-life demonstration on Parkinson’s patients will be included in some of the practical sessions.
- Recognize the clinical presentation, management and progression of PD
- Understand the rational of rehabilitative approaches in people with PD
- Describe the key areas of rehabilitation in people with PD
- Define a full subjective and objective assessment for a person with PD, using appropriate recommended measurement tools
- Describe the rational for designing and modifying a patient- specific treatment plan
- Identify strategies for collaborating with physicians and other health professionals
The course will be directed toward physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists nurses and other allied health care professionals who would like the opportunity to enhance their knowledge and skills in treating people with Parkinson's disease. No specific prior experience in treating people with Parkinson's disease is required.
MDS is able to provide participants with a Letter of Support and any course-related documentation needed to assist in obtaining a visa. Please note that MDS is unable to contact the Embassy on your behalf. It is the responsibility of each participant to make the necessary arrangements related to this process. However, if the official handling your application needs further clarification, please have them email email@example.com.