MDS-ES Neuropathology of Movement Disorders
Lectures and associated resources available on December 11, 2020
Join us live: Friday, December 11, 2020 (12:00-16:20 GMT)
Zane Jaunmuktane, MD, FRCPath
Javier Alegre Abarrategui, MD, DPhil, FRCPath
Ellen Gelpi, MD
Ricardo Taipa, MD, PhD
This workshop will provide a comprehensive overview of the neuropathology of and pathological diagnostic criteria for protein aggregation related neurodegenerative movement disorders. The course will cover a broad range of diseases including Parkinson’s disease, atypical parkinsonian disorders (multiple system atrophy, progressive supranuclear palsy, corticobasal degeneration and globular glial tauopathy), motor neurone disease, Huntington’s disease and ataxic movement disorders.
This workshop will provide a theoretical background to these neurodegenerative diseases, such as pathobiological mechanisms underpinning neurodegenerative movement disorders. The course will also offer practical interactive sessions with clinical-pathological case-based discussions and microscopic and macroscopic brain examinations.
After the course, participants will have an up-to-date knowledge of the current pathological diagnostic criteria applied to the diagnosis of neurodegenerative diseases, and of macroscopic, microscopic and clinical correlations of these diseases.
This course is aimed at neurology trainees and junior consultant neurologists.
Live Interactive Question and Answer Session: 13:55 & 16:05 GMT (10 minutes each)
The target audience for this course are trainees and junior consultants (“staff pathologists”) in clinical neurosciences disciplines, such as neurology, neuropathology, and neuro-scientists whose area of interest includes movement disorder diagnostics.
- Improve understanding of the patho-biological basis of neurodegenerative movement disorders
- Increase understanding of the current pathological diagnostic criteria of neurodegenerative disorders
- Apply clinical case examples with pathology demonstration (clinicopathological conferences)
- Observe interactive live video documentary of macroscopic brain examination (brain cut)
- Examine interactive live viewing of digital pathology slides of neurodegenerative diseases and apply to practice