Asian and Oceanian Section
- Asian and Oceanian Section
Welcome from the Chair
Nobutaka Hattori, MD, PhD
Professor and Chairman
Juntendo University School of Medicine
In 2016, one of the highlights of MDS-AOS region was the 5th AOPMC (Chair: Raymond L. Rosales) in Manila, Philippines, March 11-13th with an attendance of 700 participants and faculty from around the world. Interesting topics on engagement in clinical trials, PD palliative care and neurorehabilitation, as well as Asian movement disorder perspectives and gaps were included. The plenary sessions on Basal Ganglia circuitry, genetics in dystonia and the unique ones in Asia definitely gathered an audience.
On the last day of the congress, at the same venue, 250 PD patients and caregivers came for the occasion of the 11th International Symposium of the Asian and Pacific Parkinsonism Association (APPA). Local and foreign faculty speakers were invited to discuss PD expectations, care and treatment. The APPA representatives had the opportunity to meet a day prior, in order to discuss how to reinforce the association and future meetings.
MDS-AOS also had a strong regional showing at the 20th International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society International Congress in Berlin, Germany with 674 participants from 24 different AOS countries.
The MDS-AOS region has supported many Outreach Programs in 2016 throughout the region in the following countries;
- Colombo, Sri Lanka, Ambassador, February 12-13,2016, Attendance: 100
- Mumbai, India, Ambassador, February 19-21, 2016, Attendance: 1200
- Jakarta, Indonesia, Ambassador, February 25-26, 2016, Attendance: 19
- Yangon, Myanmar, DWEP, July 7-8, 2016, Attendance: 100
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Ambassador, August 18 and 20, 2016, Attendance: 33
- Antipolo, Philippines, DWEP, September 11, 2016 - Projected Attendance: 100-200
- Shanghai, China, DWEP (shortform), September 29-October 1, 2016 - Projected Attendance: 100-200
- Georgetown, Malaysia, Visiting Professor Program, November 18, 2016 - Projected Attendance: 200-300
The following five Live Courses were held in the MDS-AOS region in 2016:
- Manila, Philippines – SYNERGIES, March 10, Attendance: 30
- Amman, Jordan – Middle East Continuing Education for Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders, May 19, Attendance: 12
- Amman, Jordan – Allied Health Course (Rehabilitation in Parkinson's Disease) May 20, Attendance: 84
- Seoul, Korea – Deep Brain Stimulation of Movement Disorders, July15-16, Attendance: 40
- Suzhou, China – Basic Scientist Summer School, August 4-6, Attendance: 69
MDS-AOS has continued to focus on increasing the number of memberships for 2016 as we aim for growth of the MDS-AOS region. We are particularly encouraging the cultivation of younger members (40 and under) as well as adding members from countries with large populations such as China and India.
With best regards,