Health Professionals (Non-Physician) Special Interest Group
HP SIG Basecamp Meetings
The MDS HP SIG is pleased to announce that as the Health Professional group continues to grow within the Society there is an increasing need to facilitate communication via an online platform in order to pursue the group’s mission. Due to the increased global reach, versatility and growing number of time zones to be considered, the group moved to communication via the online project management and meeting platform Basecamp. To date, the MDS HP SIG has held four meetings online via Basecamp.
Read Basecamp Posts and Minutes for 2015 and 2016.
Interested in joining the HP SIG on Basecamp? Contact the International Secretariat.
Message from the Webpage Editor
Mariella Graziano, BSc (Hons), Physiotherapist - Luxembourg
Read the March 2015 Report
Updates from the Sub-Sections
MDS HP-SIG Asian and Oceanian Section (HP-SIG-AOS)
Read the March report from the Chair and the report from the 4th Asian and Oceanian Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Congress
MDS HP-SIG Pan American Section (HP-SIG-PAS)
Read the March report update from Health Professionals in the Pan American Section
News for Health Professionals
Living with Parkinson's and the Emerging Role of Occupational Therapy (By Jelka Jansa and Ana Aragon)
European Physiotherapy Guideline for Parkinson’s Disease
The European Physiotherapy Guideline for Parkinson’s Disease is now available!
Identified as “…a unique and challenging collaboration, with a great product as a result. The Guideline will be helpful to all involved in Parkinson care who support evidence-based patient-centred care,” by Dr. Samyra Keus, who lead the development.
Currently the Guideline is available in English and comes in four parts:
- The Guideline: Mainly for physiotherapists, covers the background on Parkinson’s disease and health management, physiotherapy core areas and rationale, and evidence for categories of interventions.
- Information for People with Parkinson’s disease: This document offers self-management support and how to get the best out of physiotherapy care.
- Information for Clinicians: This document identifies when to refer to physiotherapy and what to expect.
- Information to the Development and Scientific Justification of the Guideline: This provides insight in the barriers and facilitators of current care and details to measurement tools and the GRADE-based recommendations.
Translations into German, Dutch and other languages are under way.
Read more about the Guidelines development initiative and sponsorship here. For questions about the European Guidelines for Parkinson’s Disease, please contact Samyra Keus, PT.
Movement Disorders Book Reviews
The MDS Health Professionals Special Interest Group is pleased to share book reviews of Movement Disorders publications pertaining to health professionals:
- How to Live Well with Parkinson's Disease: Advice from a Physical Therapist by Miriam P. Boelen, PT. Reviewed by Clynton Correa, PT, MSc, PhD, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rehabilitation in Movement Disorders by Robert Iansek and Meg E. Morris. Reviewed by Victor McConvey- RN MACN, Clinical Nurse Consultant, Health Information Team Manager, Parkinson’s Victoria Melbourne, Australia