About the program
The ACMD Program supports African physicians in their care of movement disorder patients by providing telemedicine consultation from specialized experts across the globe.
The project's unique asynchronous model overcomes geographic and time zone barriers. Access to secure communication channels and standardized evaluation protocols help local physicians collaborate with global experts without the need for real-time connection:
- Local physicians in Africa can request consultation on a movement disorder case
- A project manager connects each case to a specialized expert
- Physicians share standardized exam information and reports via secure storage channels
- The consulting physician advises referring physicians about diagnosis and treatment recommendations
How it Works
Once registered, physicians in Africa can request consultation on a movement disorder case by submitting a video and case summary through WhatsApp Messenger, which is secure through end-to-end encryption. The ACMD project manager connects each case to a specialized expert to consult on the case with the referring physician about diagnosis and treatment recommendations.
Submitting a Case
Prior to submitting a case, first-time referring physicians must register in the ACMD Program by completing the following form.
Register now »
The form requires you to enter your contact details and acknowledge a disclaimer regarding the volunteer nature of the service.
Once your registration is received, you will receive the WhatsApp number for case submission.
The following information is required for each case:
- Patient’s gender
- Patients age
- Relevant medical history including current medications, family history, results of tests completed, etc
- Summary of the issue you wish the consulting physician to provide guidance on
- A video highlighting the patient’s movements
- Any additional pertinent information
If you have not previously attached videos to WhatsApp messages, review general instructions about how to attach videos to WhatsApp messages.
The ACMD project manager shares the case with a consulting physician. It can take up to 3-4 business days to receive feedback.
For questions or to request more information please contact Sheara Guttman, ACMD Project Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.