Welcome from the Chair
||Cynthia Comella, MD, FAAN
Professor Emeritus, Neurological Sciences
Rush University Medical Center
Chicago, IL, USA
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has challenged us all in countless ways. In response to these unprecedented times the MDS leaders are working together on education continuity plans so we can continue supporting you with relevant and timely resources. We are currently working with course directors to explore opportunities for virtual education in the upcoming weeks and months.
During this time we continue to work on other strategic initiatives. At the beginning of the year, regional strategic action plans were developed. The MDS Officers found three opportunities to harmonize between the Regional Sections and other related groups in creating web-based learning for Allied Health Professionals (focusing on non-English education), increase collaboration with Basic Scientists (creating an MDS Special Interest Group) and collaborating with strategic societies at the MDS International Congress and Regional Congresses. MDS leaders will work together in accomplishing these goals while MDS-PAS continues its efforts on additional strategic action plans.
- Develop thoughtful movement disorders education that will lead to increased knowledge, skills and management, leading to better patient care and an increased understanding of the mechanisms of movement disorders
- Analyze the MDS-PAS Educational Needs Assessment Survey to design educational programs to meet your needs
- Retain, strengthen and increase membership in the region
- Collaborate with other Societies – targeting regional and local movement disorder /neurological /medical groups with overlapping goals to build strategic partnerships
- Leverage the MDS Roadmap as a unique educational resource that could be accessed by other societies in need of such education.
If there is anything we can do to support you during this time please do not hesitate to reach out to the MDS Secretariat to share your thoughts and provide feedback. Sincerely,
Cynthia Comella, MD, FAAN
The mission of the MDS-PAS is to represent and promote the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (MDS) in Pan America. Membership of MDS-PAS is open to all members of MDS within the Pan American region (North America, Central America, South American and the Caribbean).
The MDS-PAS Officers, Executive Committee, and Education Committee.
MDS-PAS Affiliate Societies
MDS invites other neurological organizations and groups specializing in Movement Disorders to become an Affiliate Member of the Society to encourage research and enhance the education of physicians across the globe.
- Argentine Neurological Society Movement Disorders Group
Diego Ballesteros, MD
Buenos Aires, 1221
Tel: +5411 4931 5355
- Brazilian Academy of Neurology
Rua Vergueiro 1353 sl1404
Vila Mariana, São Paulo - SP, 04101-000
Tel: + 55-11- 5084-9463 or 5083-3876
Coordinators of the Movement Disorders Scientific Department:
Marcus Vinicius Della Coletta, MD: email@example.com
- Canadian Movement Disorder Group
Silke Appel Cresswell, MD, FRCPC
- Central American Movement Disorders Work Group (CAMWG)
Dr. Ricardo López-Contreras, Co-Chair
Unidad de Movimientos Anormales Instituto Salvadoreño de Seguridad Social
San Salvador, El Salvador
Tel: (503) 2264-4076
- Colombian Neurological Society (ACN)
Mauricio Rueda-Acevedo, MD
Abnormal Movements and Parkinson’s Disease Group, Chair
- Ecuador Movement Disorders Group
Fernando Alarcon, MD
Chief of Neurology Department, Professor of Neurology
Hospital Eugenio Espejo
Department of Neurology
P.O. Box 17-07-9515
- Movement Disorders Study Group of the Mexican Academy of Neurology
Mayela Rodriguez-Violante, MD, MSc
Mexican Academy of Neurology
San Francisco 1384, Torre B-7, Del Valle, CP 03100
Mexico City, Mexico
- Parkinson Study Group
Michael Schwarzschild, MD, PhD
Chair, PSG Executive Committee
The Massachusetts General Hospital/
MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease
114 16th Street, Room 3002
Boston, MA 02129 USA
The MDS-PAS collaborates with the following entities on various initiatives within the regional section.
Please wait while we gather your results.
Upcoming MDS-PAS Regional Education Courses
October 10, 2020
October 23, 2020
MDS-PAS Program Manager
555 E. Wells St, Suite 1100
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Phone: +1 414 276-2145
Fax: +1 414 276-3349