Applications for 2022 Now Open
Application Deadline: December 12, 2021
LEAP Program Purpose:
MDS LEAP was established to provide a leadership training program to support the growth, development and success of young movement disorder specialists.
About the MDS LEAP Program
The MDS LEAP Program is a 12-month program encompassing the development of leadership skills through a mentored development and a didactic skills format. The two-day training workshop takes place immediately prior to the MDS International Congress. As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, the previous two LEAP courses took place virtually. Due to the fluidity of the situation, the 2022 course is slated to be virtual but the final format is under consideration.
When in person, MDS provides support to participants for travel and accommodations for the two-day didactic program.
- Facilitate the personal leadership growth and effectiveness of early career movement disorders specialists
- Enhance the leadership skills of early career movement disorders specialists through education of group leadership principles
- Promote engagement of early career movement disorders specialists in the leadership in MDS as well as in their own professional environment
- Integrate early career leaders into appropriate leadership positions within MDS
Eligible candidates must be current members of the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (MDS); be in the early stages of career development (ages 30-45), and hold an interest in developing leadership skills and applying these leadership skills to MDS service.
Please note the age has been updated since the previous application cycle, but the emphasis remains on those in early career.
To learn more about LEAP and the application process, you can watch Dr. Comella’s Cyber Talk from the MDS 2021 Virtual Congress. Complete applications will include the following:
- Personal Statement on Leadership Commitment and Potential
- It is important for this statement to describe your leadership experience, your personal commitment to leadership development, and your overall potential to become a transformative leader.
- Personal Goals Statement
- Statement on MDS Commitment & Engagement
- CV Submission
- 2 Recommendation Forms, preferably from active MDS Members
- Recommendations should come from those who know you best